Recently, we were called to investigate the indoor air quality of a dentistry that had been suffering from damp in Chard. After evaluating the general state of the building, the extent of contamination and conducting microbiological analysis we identified that the indoor air quality in the dental practice was safe. The building had two main problem areas, the PM’s office and the staff toilet. Both were suffering from penetrating damp and the staff toilet was suffering from a minor roof leak. In order to prove the property was a safe working environment, we conducted a mould survey. In these surveys, an indoor concentration of fungal elements higher than an outdoor sample indicates a problem. After conducting the mould survey, the spore trap samples we obtained were made primarily of ascopspores, basidiospores, cladosporium and Pennicilium/Aspegillus spores.
Conducting a Damp Inspection
In order to get to the bottom of where the damp was coming from, we needed to conduct a thorough damp inspection. By using moisture mapping, we managed to identify that there was a small leak from the roof in the staff toilet. The leak had been the primary source of moisture in the room. Luckily, there was no fungal contamination even though the ceiling revealed full moisture saturation.
Likewise, within the practice manager’s office, there was evidence of penetrative damp in the external wall. Though the wall was in good condition, there was minor aesthetic damage to the paintwork. In addition, the interior was showing signs of water damage to decorative features. Again, we found no signs of mould contamination in this room, and the damp problems were not endemic. Our investigation of the rest of the rooms found the general state of the property to be in good condition with no signs of water damage or fungal contamination.
Our Mould Inspection Findings
After conducting a mould survey and a damp inspection we identified that the property was suffering from penetrative damp in a number of locations. The manager’s office and the staff toilet were two of the worst offenders, with both being affected by penetrating damp to external walls and below the windows. However, the damage caused by the damp was limited to minor damage to decorative finishes. In order to prevent future damage, we recommended that the affected walls be redecorated with water impermeable coatings. The staining we found on the ceiling of the staff toilet, staff room and reception was identified to be a slow long-term leak through the roof structure.
Overall, our air quality assessment indicated that indoor air quality hadn’t been affected elevated fungal spores. Based on the results of our mould survey and damp inspection, we came to the conclusion that none of the employees working in the practice could be considered to be at an increased risk to health. In order to prevent any future problems occurring, we recommended that the owners carry out the necessary building maintenance and repairs to prevent further water damage to decorative finishes.