Our journey took us to Wiltshire on this mould investigation. We inspected a three-storey town building which had been converted into a dental practice for damp, mould contamination and air contamination. This building has a long-term history of humidity and mould problems on the ceilings throughout the property. Although none of the staff working in the affected building reported any adverse health conditions, the mould contamination can cause severe health symptoms.
As shown in the picture above mould contamination has spread over the ceiling. Regular cleaning of the mould did not health to resolve the problem and only led to staff being exposed to mould spores. Previous attempts to control the mould in some areas were not successful due to the fact that the root cause of the problem was not properly identified. Some of the ceiling in the property showed water staining and condensation of the windows was significant.
The property was affected by significant amount of mould contamination mainly to the ceiling in most of the rooms. The moisture levels in the ceiling were normal suggesting that the root cause of the mould contamination is condensation rather than a roof leak. Inspection of the room showed that the roof is in good condition and there were no obvious signs of damage. Some areas were covered in moss and pooling water but this is to be expected on roof of this construction. Accumulation of moss and pooling water is however, having an effect on the condition inside the building. The mould contamination on the ceilings was most prominent sin the areas of the room there was moss and water. The moss and water on the roof were causing cooling of the roof structure in these specific areas and thus indirectly increasing condensation potential internally.
Our inspection of the property has identified water vapour condensation as the root cause for the mould contamination on the ceilings throughout the property. The source of the moisture in the building was not leaking roof but poor ventilation. The ground floor of the property housed several sterilisation unit producing significant amount of water mist. These vapours were controlled by wall mounted ceiling fans, but these were not used regularly thus allowing water vapours to enter the building. A combination of high moisture levels and cold concrete surfaces has resulted into condensation and subsequent mould contamination.
We have evaluated air quality with the building and found that the indoor air was affected by elevated numbers of Penicillium and Aspergillus mould spores investigation. We have recommended that he mould contamination is removed, affected surfaces are insulated and ventilation in the premises is improved.